Hello DV Weekend Mixed League Curlers – Welcome to the 2020-21 Season!
*Skips – Please forward this message to your entire team*
We’ve figured out a way to play this game we all love but please brace yourself for the length of this email. It is VERY IMPORTANT that all members of your team read though it completely as this season is literally unlike any other that we’ve had. It will discuss club related rules and procedures as well as league specific information
TABLE OF CONTENTS / WHAT’S IN THIS EMAIL
- Club information & Curling Guidelines
- Weekend Mixed League Rules & General Information
- League Website
- Convenor Contact Information
- Game Results Submission
- 2020-21 COVID Rule Changes
- Weekend Mixed League Season Information
- Season Scheduling
- Game Timing & Scheduling
- League Format
CLUB INFORMATION & CURLING GUIDELINES
While I will discuss certain points of this document throughout this email, please take the time to completely review and familiarize yourself with the DV Curling – Standard Operating Procedures (as of Sept 2020). It contains all the information and explanation on how pre and post game activities work as well as the adjusted rules on how Curling is to be played this season.
All members need to review and complete all of the following forms before starting the season:
- DV Curling – COVID-19 Member Rules and Curling Protocols Declaration Form
- DV Curling – Informed Consent and Assumption of Risk Agreement
- DV Curling – Concussion Code of Conduct for Athletes
All members will be assigned lockers this season. You will be contacted with your locker information between October 27th and the start of the season.
Before each game / outing to the club please ask yourself: If you have travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days, had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 (without appropriate PPE), or are feeling any of the following symptoms:
- New or Worsening Cough
- Shortness of Breath
- Difficulty Breathing
- Sore Throat
- Decrease/Loss of Taste or Smell
- Unexplained Fatigue or Muscle Aches
- Nausea / Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal Pain
- Pink Eye
- Runny Nose without specific known cause
If Yes, then PLEASE STAY HOME.
WEEKEND MIXED LEAGUE RULES & GENERAL INFORMATION
Results and standing will be posted on the Club’s curling website.
CONVENOR CONTACT INFORMATION
Name: Simon Ouellet and Betty Calic
Phone / Text (preferred): 905-536-8960
GAME RESULT SUBMISSIONS
Please submit all results electronically (Winner) if I am no longer at the Club, either by email or text message using the convenor contact information above. Typically scores are submitted by the winning team.
IMPORTANT – 2020-21 COVID RULE CHANGES
I really want to emphasize that this season is strictly about getting on the ice and playing the game we all love. Please make all efforts to embrace the spirit of the game and to not abuse any of the rules put in place in order to win a meaningless game.
- Masks are Required at all times (sole exception is when you are SEATED at the table enjoying a post game drink)
- Dry-Erase markers will be used to mark the score on the scoreboards. Please assign one player per sheet to handle all the scoring.
- No rescheduling games for any reason (player illness, personal scheduling conflict, etc)
- Should this result in your team forfeiting, please make all efforts to inform the Convenor and other team ASAP
- No pre-post game handshakes
- No Coin Flips – Please use Rock/Paper/Scissors in the lounge prior to going on the ice
- Rock colours and numbers (eg. Lead throwing rocks 1 and 2) must be declared prior to the start of the game
- Rocks may not be changed once the game has started (Ice Maker Rob has informed me there are no bad rocks, just bad players)
- One Sweeper Only
- Any methodology is allowed whether it be sweeping alternating shots, having one sweeper sweep everything, or sweep all in-turns or out-turns
- Alternating sweepers during a shot is CURRENTLY PERMITTED. HOWEVER sweepers must be 6 feet apart at all times. Any reports of this rule being abused and I swear to god I’ll turn this car (rule) around right now and go straight home (ban it forever).
- No sweeping behind the T-Line by any player of any team
- 1hr 55min HARD time limit for all games
- When the buzzer goes, the game is over
- Please use some level of discretion here – if the final shot of an end is being thrown, just let it finish.
- If it is clear that you will not be able to play a full end prior to starting, please end the game at that point.
- Sparing is allowed, however you may only select a spare from our league
- You CANNOT participate regularly in one league and spare in another
- You CANNOT spare in multiple leagues
Please refer to the DV Curling – Standard Operating Procedures for a complete list of game-related changes.\
WEEKEND MIXED SEASON INFORMATION
If there is a positive this season, this is it. We basically play uninterrupted (Christmas break aside) all season!
Pre-Christmas Season – November 8 to December 20
No Curling – December 27
Post-Christmas Season – January 3 to April 25
There will be two round-robins followed by 4 weeks of playoffs. The playoff format has not been finalized yet.\
GAME TIMING & SCHEDULING
Games are scheduled mainly on Sundays and on three Saturdays (November 21, December 12 and April 10). All games are at 9:30am. TRo8nd Robin 1 is attached
Please do not arrive more than 30 minutes prior to game time in order to limit crossover between multiple flights/leagues.
Thank you to everyone for reading through this entire email! Lets have a great season and make sure to stay safe and have fun!
If you have any questions or concerns please contact me and I’ll be happy to answer them. See you all on November 8th.